Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday [17]: Ten Fairytale Retellings on my TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish.


Ten Fairytale Retellings on my TBR


1) Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyer: I read Cinder last month and I really liked it. I'm really intrigued by this whole futuristic world and the idea of my favorites fairytales happening there is really appealing to me. This one is supposed to be a retelling of the Little Red Riding Hood so I can't wait to get my hands on it.

2) A Long Long Sleep (UniCorp #1) by Anna Sheehan: This one is also kind of futuristic. It's supposed to be some kind of retelling of Sleeping Beauty about a girl who's been asleep for a really long time until she's woken up by a kiss and thrust into a world where everyone she loved before is now dead and she has to figure out who to trust. Sounds pretty cool to me.

3) Beastly by Alex Flinn: This one is a freaking classic. Most of my friends have already read it and I've had it on my shelf for years. I even watched the movie! But I haven't been able to pick it up and read it yet. In the strange case that you don't know what it is about, Beastly is a Beauty and the Beast retelling set in modern day. The film was good so I guess the book should be too.

4) Briar Rose (The Fairy Tale Series) by Jane Yolen: This is another take on Sleeping Beauty. It's supposed to be set around World War II. It's an older retelling not just because of the setting but I think it was first published around 1988 which is older than any other retelling on this list by a few decades. That fact alone makes me really curious... This book has been on my TBR for a long time, but I never see it when I'm out getting books, sadly.





5) Cloaked by Alex Flinn: This one is another Alex Flinn book I've been meaning to read since the beginning of time. It's supposedly some sort of mash-up of different fairytales like The Frog Prince and The Elves and the Shoemaker and some others. I'm really looking forward to finally reading it.

6) Sisters Red (Fairytale Retellings #1) by Jackson Pearce: For this one I have no excuse. I absolutely love Pearce's writing style and I already own all of her books. But I haven't been able to get myself to read the Fairytale Retelling novels. This one is the first in that "series" of companion novels, and it's a Little Red Riding Hood retelling with a twist. I don't know why I  just keep pushing it away... I'll read sometime, soon-ish.

7) Kill Me Softly (Beau Rivage #1) by Sarah Cross: I fell in love with this book's cover. It's freaking gorgeous and I just bought it because of that. For what I know, the story is based on some of the Grimm brothers tales which I find fascinating, but it has really mixed reviews so I haven't actually read it yet... 

8) Splintered (Splintered #1) by A. G. Howard: This cover is also beautiful. The vivid colors and everything just screams Alice in Wonderland. I just ordered this book from amazon a couple of days ago, so I'll probably be reading it next month. I hope it will be as good as its reviews say it is. 





9) Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1) by Danielle Paige: I'm not really much of a Wizard of Oz fan, I just never got into that world and unlike most people who love it, I grew up without even knowing it existed and just found out about it as an adult. However, I've been meaning to try it out and a lot of people have recommended this book to me, so I'll probably be giving it a try. 

10) The Wrath & The Dawn (The Wrath & The Dawn #1) by Renee Ahdieh: I don't really know if this one counts. It's based on a story called A Thousand and One Nights, and I don't know if that's actually a fairytale or not, but this one is supposed to be some sort of retelling, so I'm including it. It sounds amazing and a lot of people seem to be loving it, so I decided to give it a try. 





What are some of your favorite Fairytale retellings? Have you read any of my list? Let me know in the comment section below!

Love,

2 comments:

  1. You absolutely have to continue The Lunar Chronicles! It's one of those series that gets better with every book so I have to admit, I'm a bit afraid of Winter not living up to my expectations. I haven't heard of Kill Me Softly before but it sounds really great, and you're right - the cover is absolutely gorgeous. I have Splintered on my shelf but at this point I'm not sure I'll ever get to it haha. The Wrath and the Dawn made my list too.
    Lovely list! :)
    My @ TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorothy must die and Splintered are on my list too! Beastly is fantastic. You've got to read that :) Here is my TTT! http://www.bookworminkorporated.com/best-current-and-anticipated-fairy-tale-retellings/

    ReplyDelete